Parent Ally Program
Being a Parent Ally (PA) is a unique opportunity to gain leadership experience on campus.
Interested in becoming a Parent Ally?
Working with parents and families offers insight into a diverse population and provides opportunities to grow soft skills along with professional skills necessary to succeed in today’s workplace. It’s also a great way to build your resume!
Who is an ideal Parent Ally?
- A positive role model who is actively involved – both in and outside of the classroom
- Comfortable leading group discussions and working closely with parents, staff, students and faculty
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Professional, confident and articulate
- Outgoing and friendly
What are the qualifications?
- Candidates must be a current NC State student who will be enrolled for the entire academic year
- Eligible students must have accumulated 30+ credits by the beginning of the fall semester subsequent of hiring
- Must be in good academic standing
- Considered an upstanding member of the NC State community who does not have an unresolved student conduct record with the university
What are the time commitments?
- Support all PFS annual sponsored activities, signature events and various partner programs hosted in the spring
- Required attendance at the annual PA leadership training retreat in August/September
- Fulfill a minimum of 2.0 office hours weekly between August-November and January-April (December and May be scheduled based upon availability)
- Regularly scheduled team meetings during the academic year
What are the benefits to being a Parent Ally?
- Small team collaboration
- Enhanced customer service training
- Paid position on campus with flexible hours
- Experience with event planning and implementation
- Strengthening of people skills
- Social media management and blog writing experience
- Opportunities for small and large group presentations – public speaking skills
- Experience working with a diverse audience
- Networking opportunities