How I Became a Parent Ally and My Student Employment Experience

In the spring semester of my freshman year, I was really worried about finding a job for the next academic year. My Mom, the sweet soul that she is, sent me a link to a job application for the Office of Parents and Families Services. She had been using the Office’s Facebook to learn more about how to support me and ended up finding me the job I have today!

Before working here, I had no idea the Office of Parents and Families Service (PFS) even existed. After reading more about the programs and services they offer to NC State families, I applied and received an invitation for an interview. I tried to exude as much confidence as I could but, I was petrified of interviewing. I called my mom shortly after I called invited for the interview just to vent away the queasy feeling in my stomach, but she reassured me despite it all. 

After a few weeks of waiting, I got an email inviting me to join the team! When I was finally able to meet the team I felt so welcomed. I started working in August of last year and I’ve had the pleasure of attending all events for prospective and current Wolfpack families, big to small. My all-time favorite event was PacKIN Action, an event for NC State students and their sibling(s) during Spring Fling. However, my favorite outreach event was the tabling for the University Open House at the Talley Student Center. I loved seeing the excitement of prospective students and their families; it made me hopeful for future NC State students.   

Working for PFS has had more value to me than just a monetary check. The extensive range of opportunities and experiences is preparing me for a career beyond NC State. Also, with their flexible scheduling and understanding mentality, I’m able to put being a student first and foremost. Working on campus is also a major advantage. Many of my peers work off-campus and struggle to find transportation if they don’t already have a car, but having Parents and Families Services within walking distance of the main campus with access to the Wolfline has made getting to and from work easy.

Juggling school and a job is difficult for anyone, but the Office of Parents and Families Services does better than most jobs in making that struggle a little easier. I would recommend the position as a Parent Ally to any student who isn’t afraid to answer calls and questions from parents. It’s really an engaging and enriching position that I’ve been proud to be a part of. 

If your student is adaptable, cheerful and looking for a job, share this job application link with them like my Mom did, and maybe they too can be a Parent Ally!

Parent Ally

Aislinn Murray