A Day in the Life of a Junior at NC State

Wolf Plaza, looking back towards Talley, during fall. Photo by Marc Hall.

Some of you may know me already, but my name is Deeya Deepak and I am a junior here at NC State! I’m majoring in Political Science with a concentration in International Politics and minoring in Psychology, Statistics and STS (Science, Technology and Society.) I have been a Parent Ally with the Office of Parents and Families Services at NC State for about two years, so you have probably seen me around!

Like high school, junior year is probably one of the most challenging years of college. This is the time when students are usually taking their hardest classes, zeroing in on finishing their major and trying to find internships/jobs for the summer before their senior year: I fall into this boat. As a junior this semester, I am taking my hardest classes. Taking classes, managing work and school, as well as trying to find internships and jobs for the summer, has been difficult.

As for a typical day in the life of my junior year, it’s filled with activities and events like class, work and fun. I start out my days by either having a team meeting or going to class, and I try to schedule my classes for mornings so I can have time to study and work in the afternoons. After a couple of classes, I usually take a lunch break eating leftovers or trying a new place on Hillsborough Street. After lunch, I typically have one more class left and then it’s off to my office hours for Parents and Families Services.

I typically have my office hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays because that’s when I have the most time. I typically answer the phones and emails, as well as get to connect with parents and families through our initiatives like Coffee Chats. I usually work for a couple of hours each of these days then head to D.H. Hill Jr. Library or to Carmichael Gymnasium! I love Wellness and Recreation. I frequently attend group fitness classes or try to work out with friends. I try to go to the gym every day because it’s a good way for me to destress and channel my energy.

Most of the time, I will spend my afternoons getting all my assignments and work done until pretty much when I go to bed. I try to get everything done a few days in advance so I have time to review it, but also so I can make sure I am not getting behind. If I don’t have a lot of work, I spend my time applying for summer internships and, if I am lucky, interviewing for jobs. Other than that, I typically take the weekends to hang out with my roommates and friends, and do something fun or new.

I feel like my day is typical for a junior in college, but each day is different for everyone!

• Deeya