Managing Homesickness

Moving away from college is a unique experience, Just about every college student misses something about home when they are away from family, friends, pets, etc. Homesickness is a common problem for many college students no matter how close or far away their home is. For the majority of students, this is their first time living independently and staying somewhere other than their hometown for an extended period. For others, this may be their first time living in a different state if they are out-of-state students like me. In my own personal experience, moving away from my hometown to Raleigh has been a pleasant experience as I made efforts to get out of my comfort zone to get involved in campus life. There are so many options for fun activities on campus and off campus (when I am not busy with school) designed to help students make the most of their college experience.

Based on my conversations with students, homesickness is very common in the spring as there are fewer opportunities on the academic calendar to visit home. Below are my suggested tips to beat the homesickness bug. I try to stay in contact with family and friends from back home. This is one of the most important steps because it not only keeps me up to date with things going on while I’m away, but it lets me feel connected to the activities at home. Fortunately, technology (text, phone calls, video chats, etc.) makes it easier to catch up with what is happening with friends and family members. Another strategy that I found helpful is setting roots in my new home by making friends and getting involved in campus life such as joining one or two of NC State’s Student Organizations. This has been a great way for me to meet new people who share my interests. Also, keeping an item that reminds me of home has been very helpful. Encourage your student to bring things from home to decorate their dorm room or apartment to remind them of home or give them a sense of comfort. This could include things such as a favorite childhood toy, pictures, a favorite blanket, or even a pillow.

Homesickness is normal and overcoming these negative feelings takes time and effort. Support your student by sending a care package to let your student know that they are on your mind. Have conversations with your student and encourage your student to stay positive and seek support from the Counseling Center if the feeling worsens or persists. Their staff is available to help students make NC State their home away from home. 

Go Pack!!

-PA Dylan