Self-Care and Mindfulness

Self-care is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. Especially as a student with a heavy course load and having to balance school and social events, it is easy to burn out if you do not implement it into your routine. 

As a senior about to graduate, I have learned a thing or two over the past four years about balancing school and fun, and making sure to take care of myself. Self-care routines can vary from person to person but here are some tips that have worked for me, that will hopefully help your student too!

1. Time Management. For the longest time I struggled with this. It always felt like there were not enough hours in the day for me to get all of my assignments done. By creating a schedule for myself I was able to plan out my days and set goals for myself. 
  2. Take study breaks throughout the day. I have found that I cannot study for hours straight. I find it beneficial to take breaks every so often and do something like go outside for a stroll or meditate. It may seem like you need to study but activities like this can help your brain stay refreshed.
  3. Work out! This is my #1 stressbuster. Just taking a few minutes out of the day to exercise can help give your brain a break and relieve some stress. Wellness and Recreation offers group fitness classes to students – an awesome way to destress and make some new friends!
  4. Self Care. It is important to set aside time to check in with yourself. This is a good way to destress and take care of your mental health. I personally like to watch my favorite TV show or read a book. Encourage your student to do what works best for them!

Self-care looks different for everyone. It is important to practice self-care so we can work on our mental health and keep it strong. Self-care does not look the same for everyone, nor does it have to be very elaborate. It could be something as simple as calling a friend or taking a nap. Regardless of whatever method(s) your student chooses for self-care, the most important thing is that it allows your student to be the best version of themself. 

Encourage your student to find ways to practice self-care that best works for them. With finals around the corner, taking care of yourself is the best way to navigate a stressful time. 

Good luck!

• Deeya