Parent Ally Reflection: My First Semester in the Program

Some members of the Parent Ally team. Spring Fling 2022.

Where did the time go? As I sit here writing this reflection of my first semester as a Parent Ally, I am taken back at the thought that it has only been a few months since I joined the Office of Parents and Families Services. From the very beginning, I was warmly welcomed by the team. This made it easy for me to acclimate into the role of serving parents and families of the Wolfpack and reaffirmed that joining the Parent Ally Program is one of the best decisions I have made during my time at NC State.

Our team is fortunate to be under the leadership of Kerri Fowler and Valerie Oti. Not only do they encourage us to set goals, but they take it a step further by following up with us to ensure we are on target to meet our goals and have the resources we need to be successful. It has been a privilege to learn from the experienced Parent Allies on the team. Though my time with the senior team members has been brief, I am touched and forever grateful for their willingness to take me under their wing and share their knowledge and experiences. I look forward to sharing what I have learned with the new hires in the Fall. 

One of the things I enjoy most about my role as a Parent Ally is the opportunity to plan and execute campus-wide in-person events. It is always a pleasure to have the opportunity to speak with families face-to-face at events like Experience NC State and share my experiences and advice as a student. I am eager to continue this rewarding work which allows me to build upon my leadership, organizational and interpersonal communication skills.

Wishing you and your student a joyous summer!

Until next time,

• Amber Silver