3 Pieces of Advice That Have Stuck With Me During College

NC State Parent Ally, Deeya Deepak, and her mother.

When my parents dropped me off freshman year, it was very emotional because it was my first time being away from home on my own, far from my parents. As my parents were leaving, I got a text from my mom with some of the best advice that has stuck with me all throughout college. Below are some of the points she included in her message to me.

1. Get out of your comfort zone – live a little!

Grades and school are very important, but so is having fun. College is supposed to be the best four years of your student’s life. This is supposed to be the time where students find new friends and make memories that last a lifetime. If your student is a first year student or looking to make new friends, it is encouraged that they spend time on campus and go to events. It might sound silly or your student might not want to go because of the timing, but they could meet their best friends at these events.

1. Social media isn’t everything.

It is very easy to get caught up in social media. Everyone is always posting about the highlights of life and it can be easy for your student to think that they need to be doing more or something has to change. This transition, especially as a first year can be difficult. Social media can give people a false impression, but it is all just a filter. Students should consider taking a break from social media to focus on themselves and making sure they are doing okay.

1. It’s okay to make mistakes.

Yes, college means getting good grades and having fun to make this the best four years of your student’s life. There can be this pressure to be perfect and get it all figured out and that’s stressful. I’m here to tell you that it is okay for your student to make mistakes and not have everything all figured out. Here at NC State, everyone is here to help and wants to see students succeed. For me, my parents are always there as well. There will always be support for all students, all they have to do is ask because “The Strength of the Wolf is the Pack.”

I hope these little bits of advice my mom shared with me stick with you and I hope you share them with your student.

• Deeya