5 Useful Study Tips

Sometimes studying can be difficult, especially if students struggle with motivation or are easily distracted. So, I thought it would be helpful to share some tips that may be useful to your student(s).

My first tip is meditation. For me, meditation helps with a lot of things. Personally, I prefer guided meditation. Guided meditation videos can be found anywhere online, just search anything along the lines of “guided focus meditation,” and there will be plenty of videos to choose from. Typically, I look for a video that is about 5 minutes long. Taking a few minutes to focus my mind before studying goes a long way.

My second tip is to find a quiet space on campus to study. The library’s website has a list of designated quiet spaces for both Hill and Hunt libraries. If your student wants to study with friends, your student can also reserve a study room for both Hill and Hunt libraries. I recommend doing this a few days in advance, especially during midterms and finals because the rooms fill up quickly! If the library is not an option, some buildings on campus have quiet study spaces as well, such as the Caldwell Lounge in Caldwell Hall and the lounge in Riddick Hall. 

My third tip is the Navigate Student app. It can be downloaded onto a smartphone or computer. Navigate has a lot of helpful information, such as class schedules, important dates, and resources. Additionally, it has a feature that allows students to create and join different study groups for classes they are enrolled in. The app enables students to set a time, date, and location and others from their class can join, or join other groups. I know a lot of people who use Navigate for study groups and it has been really helpful for them, and a great way to make friends!

My fourth tip is to find a study method that works for the student. Personally, I like using the “flowtime technique,” which is a method of studying where you study for a while, then take a break depending on how long you studied for. If you study for 30 minutes, you take a 5-minute break, if you study for 45 minutes you take a 10-minute break, and if you study for an hour, you take a 15-minute break. My roommate and I use this technique all the time and it helps us study for long periods of time without feeling burnt out.

My fifth and final study tip is to go to the Academic Success Center. Through the Academic Success Center, students can make an appointment for tutoring, meet with a writing consultant, join tutoring groups, drop in advising, and more! It is a valuable resource and I recommend looking into it!

I hope you find these tips useful and will pass them along to your student(s)!

GO PACK!

Parent Ally Kaitlin