Self-Care for Winter Break

Winter Break is just around the corner, the perfect time for students to catch up on some self-care. This is a good item to remind students about setting aside time for themselves. Even if they feel like their schedule is hectic, there are self-care methods that are quick, easy and effective. Before winter break, NC State will celebrate De-Stress Fest! De-Stress Fest will be a great way for students to begin practicing self-care as they make plans for the winter break. 

One of my favorite ways to practice self-care is meditation. At first, I didn’t think I would like it, but after trying it a few times, I found it to be very helpful, and it quickly became one of my favorites. Personally, I like guided meditation so I found YouTube videos, but there are also different apps for meditation as well. Wellness and Recreation offers group meditation classes if that’s what your student prefers. The Counseling Center also has a helpful list of ways to practice relaxation and meditation. They have a list of general self-help resources as well.

Another way I like to practice self-care is by eating healthy and getting enough sleep. Even if I feel like I should keep studying or keep working on assignments, I stop at a reasonable time and make sure I get enough sleep. The Counseling Center has a good resource for explaining why getting sleep is important, as well as a list of tips on how to deal with insomnia and other issues.

Lastly, self-care also means doing whatever you like. It can be things like watching a movie, playing video games, reading, doing skincare, or going on a walk. If your student has time for a social activity, they can also check out the University Events Calendar and see what’s happening around campus. 

Sometimes it is easy to feel guilty for not doing school work or other obligations, but self-care is important and should always come first. Taking care of yourself should always be a priority. 

Kaitlin Davis, PA