Reflecting on My First Semester as a Parent Ally

Parent Allies, Spring 2022.

Joining the Office of Parents and Families Services as a Parent Alley (PA) has been one of the best choices I have made. On-campus jobs provide students with an array of opportunities to get involved and give back to their community while learning some useful skills along the way. Lucky enough, I secured this amazing opportunity with the Parents and Families Services, so I will share how my first semester has gone.

First, I have to speak about the work I actually do in the office. Speaking with parents and actively helping resolve various issues generates happiness like no other because it warms my heart to know that I am supporting my community. Oftentimes I end up learning a lot about NC State’s campus as well because I am led to websites I never knew existed, like the NC State photoshelter.

Another part of this job that I enjoy are the events I get to help plan and create. Writing and planning are skills that can always use some improvement, so working on them directly supports my efforts in writing and planning outside of the job as well. Enhancing skills that translate directly into the academic or career world is something that I am thankful this job provides.

Speaking of skills, soft skills need to be addressed. Communication, teamwork, problem-solving and time management, just to name a few, are some of the skills that drastically improve when working as a PA. I value the improvement of these skills far more than my academic skills because soft skills are important not only in the job setting, but in all aspects of life. Working as a PA puts me in a setting alongside an amazing team of colleagues that I have grown to really enjoy working with. Additionally, there are many opportunities for me to attend in-person events that require me to engage in public speaking, converse with parents or families and represent the office. I have grown immensely from these experiences and hope I continue to thrive in this environment. 

Although I have grown a lot during this semester as a PA, I am glad to have such a supportive team alongside me. Within this small amount of time, I have learned a lot about myself and those around me, but I do not think I would have enjoyed this journey as much without having them by my side to help me along the way. I am very grateful and fortunate to have a team that supports my goals and wants me to succeed.

Hope this enlightens you about the opportunities your student has available on campus!

• Kaden Steinmann