Practicing Self-Care Before Finals

With finals just around the corner, it is important to continue practicing self-care. Throughout college, I have learned several skills that have helped me stay grounded during times of stress. Self-care routines can vary from person to person but here are some tips that have worked for me, that will hopefully help your student too!

1. Create a tentative time schedule. I like to keep a general breakdown of things that I want to accomplish for the day to stay on track of my workload. 
  2. Take study breaks throughout the day. I like to go outside and enjoy the beautiful weather after I have studied for a while. Meditating, walking your dog, spending time with friends, or listening to your favorite podcast can all be great ways to give your brain a break in the midst of finals. 
  3. Get some exercise. Just taking a few minutes out of the day to exercise can help give your brain a break and relieve some stress in the midst of finals. 
  4. Eat healthy foods. It is important to continue to nourish your body with foods from all the food groups. Make sure that your student packs healthy snacks if they are spending long hours in the library. 
  5. Ignore negative self-talk. Encourage your student to focus on positive thoughts and acknowledge their strengths. It is ok to recognize doubts and obstacles, but encourage your student to let those setbacks propel them forward. 
  6. Reflect. After a long day of studying, I like to reflect on my hard work. I also like to reward myself by doing something to distress like reading a book or taking a bubble bath. 

Self-care does not necessarily need to be anything elaborate, and could be something as simple as taking a nap or calling a friend. Regardless of whatever method(s) your student chooses for self-care, the most important thing is that it allows your student to be the happiest version of themself. 

Encourage your student to find ways to practice self-care that best works for them. Taking care of yourself is the best way to navigate finals as this can definitely be a busy and stressful time.

Good luck!

• Jenny Mobed