Limiting Distractions While Studying

As students, we spend a significant amount of time studying and preparing for exams. However, spending hours studying or completing assignments can be exhausting and lead to students being easily distracted, especially for students like myself who find it hard to focus or have short attention spans. Below are things I have done over the years to help limit distractions and have a productive workday. 

Do Not Procrastinate

Cramming material the night before a test or exam has never proven helpful. Advise your student to avoid procrastinating by studying gradually and not at the last minute. After their classes, students should try to set aside time each day to study. This will ensure that they have looked over notes, are caught up with any readings, have fully grasped the material and can attend office hours to ask questions before the test comes. This will guarantee the night before an exam is restful, not stressful!

Find an Environment Efficient for Studying

Whether your student can focus in noisy areas or is sensitive to sound, finding the right location is the key to studying sufficiently and avoiding distractions. Hill and Hunt libraries are my favorite places to study on campus. They provide a quiet space with various study options for students including the ability to reserve a room

Silence Phone Alerts 

For most students phones are the biggest distraction. Time flies when on your phone and one second can easily turn into half an hour. While working, I beat the temptation of scrolling through social media or texting my friends by turning off my phone or putting it on “Do Not Disturb” mode to silence notifications. 

To limit distractions encourage your student to find a suitable location to work, have a to-do list, silence notifications and reward themselves with short breaks. I hope your student finds these tips helpful as we approach final exams and the end of the academic year. 

• Amber Silver