A Day in the Life of a Senior at NC State

My name is Jenny Mobed and I am a senior here at NC State! I am majoring in biology with a concentration in psychology and a minor in dance. I am excited to give you a glimpse into the everyday life of being a senior! 

First of all, do not be fooled by the common statement that senior year will be the easiest year of college. Even though your student may have finished most of their challenging courses, there are still a variety of new obstacles that they will likely face. Senior year is the time where students decide which path they want to take post-graduation. Trust me when I say, my roommates and I spend hours in the kitchen every day discussing graduate school applications and the internship/job search. While I was applying to graduate school, I had to write a personal statement, several essays and interview for each individual program. After a day full of classes, I would get back to my apartment and work on applications for the rest of the evening. This is a time-consuming process which is why it is critical to encourage your student to start planning ahead (especially if they are a junior). 

There are also several Career Fairs and Events that your student might want to take advantage of if they are in the internship/job search. These usually take place throughout February and March, and are great opportunities for your student to meet and connect with future potential employers. Encourage your student to visit ePACK for additional opportunities including information sessions, workshops and other career events.

Last but not least, senior year is a time for your students to enjoy themselves and reflect on their experiences at NC State. Now more than ever, it is important that students find an appropriate work/life balance. It is easy to feel overwhelmed by all the things constantly happening, especially as a college senior, so it is essential that your student finds time to do things that make them happy. Every day I find time to exercise, read and spend time with my friends. I also try to attend as many events as I can on campus to make the most out of my remaining time at NC State. 

When I look back on my college experience, I reflect on the fun times I have spent with my friends rushing the field after the NC State win over UNC, laughing at the Legacy Luncheon with my family, touring the bell-tower with Dr. Stafford and participating in so many other exciting events on campus. It is never too late to Get Involved at NC State and senior year is the time to ensure that your student has absolutely no regrets about their college experience. 

I am so proud to be graduating among such a talented and hardworking group of seniors and am so excited to see what the future holds. 

Go Pack Always!

• Jenny Mobed